The most powerful strategy to insure your success is “Entrainment.” Entrainment was initially discovered by a Dutch scientist named Christian Huygen in 1665. While working on the design of a pendulum clock, Huygens discovered that regardless of the size and pattern, when two pendulums were placed near each other, they would eventually begin swinging in the same rate. The exact cause of this has never been discovered. This synchronization effect is universal. It appears throughout nature and in all the sciences including chemistry, biology, astronomy, and geology.
The classic example of two bodies vibrating in harmony is when two individual heart muscles are brought close together, they begin pulsing in synchrony. Another widely observed example of entrainment effect is women who live in the same household often find that their menstrual cycles will coincide.
You can achieve success in almost any endeavor by harnession the power of entrainment. You can entrain in any and all areas of your life: mentally, emotionally, physically, materially and spiritually. When you become aware of the areas of your life that need to be revitalized, energized or aspects of your life that need attention, you can entrain yourself in those areas.
Two powerful examples entrainment are self help groups and coaching. The power of both of these self-help groups and coaching lies not only in the advice you receive but also the entrainment factor. In both cases you are entraining by surrounding yourself with individuals who have a similar direction and goals.
If there is an area of your life you would like to change or improve there is probably a group with identical goals you can join or a coach who can help you. Spend time with individuals who can provide guidance and support your objectives and you are much more likely to achieve the results you are seeking.
It’s interesting that the most successful people have achieved success because they practice this principle. All of the greatest athletes have coaches, most high-achievers in sales have had mentors, most great leaders have advisors and so on. The winners in any given field of endeavor realize it is a sign of strength not weakness to seek a coach or support group.
You have the power to maintain your health, life balance, and high-performance level by entraining your life in the areas you seek to affect. You must consciously make the best choices in the books you read, the movies you watch, the people you spend your time with, and the activities you engage in. There are an infinite number of positive resources you can entrain your life to.
Many fail to avoid the effect of negative entrainment. Unknowingly, in many cases, they entrain with the daily onslaught of negativity in the newspapers and television. They surround themselves with negative people. They spend more time with the problem than with the solution. It is safe to say it is impossible to create success if you entrain with failure.
Here’s how entrainment works. One of the most common problems is the difficulty to maintain an adequate fitness level, target weight, or to stay in shape. This can be a challenge for people who have few goals and even more challenging for people who are seeking higher levels of success with busy and demanding schedules.
If you want success – entrain. Join a club or group with a fitness activity you enjoy such as a biking, running, walking, hiking, or swimming. Get a personal trainer. Join a health club. Get a subscriptions to health and fitness magazines. Join a Twelve-Step program for overeaters. Find partners you can exercise with. Study nutrition. Take cooking classes. Spend lots of time with people who are healthy and fit. Spend time with people who have lost weight and kept it off.
Entrainment Opportunities are Infinite. Here’s a list of 65 activities that will assist you in entraining to the results you are seeking.
- Take a vacation.
- Avoid going into your office for two weeks.
- Listen to your favorite sales motivation tapes.
- Take a class in art.
- Get a personal sales coach.
- Spend lots of time in nature.
- Remove your television from the house.
- Spend time with horses.
- Avoid attempting to sell anything for two weeks.
- Learn a new sport.
- Take a yoga class.
- Ask friends who are successful how they get out of a slump.
- Break as many patterns as possible – do things differently.
- Visualize your positive future twice a day.
- Read your mission statement twice a day.
- Take a fire-walking seminar.
- Get a pet.
- Start therapy
- End therapy.
- Make a list of the 20 things you love to do and do them.
- Learn how to play a musical instrument.
- Join a theater group.
- Take singing lessons.
- Rent your favorite funny movies and watch one a night for a month.
- Take a class in creative writing.
- Watch the sunrise.
- Watch the sunset.
- Play your favorite dance music and dance.
- Take dancing lessons.
- Go to a spa and get a massage.
- Make a list of all the things in your life you are grateful for.
- Go for a drive in the country and purposely get lost.
- Spend a day at an aquarium and watch fish swim.
- Buy a book of motivational quotes and read them.
- Spend a day in the critical care unit of a local hospital.
- Call everyone you love and tell them you love them.
- Keep a journal.
- Play more golf.
- Play less golf.
- Go for a walk every day.
- Take ride in a hot-air balloon.
- Become active in your favorite charity.
- Listen to motivational tapes.
- Keep fresh flowers near you every day.
- Enroll in a personal growth seminar.
- Take sky diving lessons.
- Give up coffee and alcohol.
- Climb a mountain.
- Take some risks.
- Go camping.
- Go fishing.
- Take a hot bath with candles and incense burning.
- Mentally review all of the sales you are most proud of.
- Read inspirational books.
- Work only two days a week for one-month.
- Spend the lots of time at the beach.
- Become a vegetarian for 90 days.
- Go to a metaphysical bookstore and explore.
- Join a self-help group.
- Lose five pounds.
- Instead of walking skip everywhere you go.
- Have dinner with your best friend.
- Read anything by Emerson.
This is list to prime your creative pump. You must explore, experiment
and take some risks. If you keep doing what you’ve been doing there is a good chance you will keep getting what you’ve been getting.
- Surround yourself with wisdom
- Surround yourself with beauty
- Surround yourself with love
- Surround yourself with truth
- Surround yourself with joy
- Surround yourself with laughter
- Surround yourself with peace